Sunday, June 26, 2011

Checking Out Anchorage's Water Supply... A Glacial Lake!


I've been itching to go on another hike, so despite a steady rainfall much of the day, a friend and I went for a hike and were treated to some beautiful views. This hike is at Lake Eklutna, which is where Anchorage gets its water supply. Glacier water... yum! It's a beautiful lake... I've heard a lot about it since I moved here, but this was my first time actually seeing it.  There is an easy trail at the edge of the lake, but we decided to take a trail that goes up into the mountains around the lake. I admit that I was thankful to see that this trail is rated "difficult" when I looked it up later... much of it is quite steep! That made me feel a little better about being sore for the next couple days. :) All in all, we traveled 4.5 miles and climbed 1600 ft.

There's a lake out there, can't you see it?  Trust me...


Some mountains on the far side of the lake start to come into view...


See?  A lake!  Not the whole thing, but at least you can see there IS a lake there!


While we were standing there taking in the view, it was starting to clear out pretty quickly.  This is about as clear as it got... but still, what a view!



Lupin... Love it!


Another view along the hike...



So many layers of clouds... :)

Bluebells... another great abundant flower around here.



No comments:

Post a Comment