Sunday, June 26, 2011

Next hike... Longer and Not Quite So Steep...

Second hike in a week! This time, I opted for a flatter but longer trail.  The friend I went with this time suggested the South Fork Eagle River hike, which is 10 miles round trip and only climbs about 800 ft.  It is pretty open, although the trail is fairly narrow for much of the way. Aside from the mountain views you get all along, the real treat is when you get to the lakes at the end. There are medium-sized boulders to work your way across for about 1/4 mile, and then there are two lakes... Eagle Lake and Symphony Lake. We got to Eagle Lake and I decided that was a good place to turn around. Symphony Lake was only another 1/4 mile or so away, but that was across more boulders, and I knew the 4.5 or so miles back to the car on top of what we had already done would be a challenge for me since I don't quite have my AK hiking legs yet. So in all, we completed a 9.5 mile hike.  Here are some of the photos from that hike... it's just pure torture to have to deal with this scenery everyday! ;)




Our view as we start our hike.



South fork of Eagle River










Eagle Lake




A panoramic view at Eagle Lake.  Symphony Lake is off to the right... over more boulders. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment